CANDIED ORANGE PEEL
1. Combine water and sugar in small saucepan and bring to a rolling boil.
2. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zest off of the oranges in strips, avoiding the white pith as much as possible.
3. Stir orange peels into boiling sugar and water mixture and reduce heat to medium.
4. Simmer orange peels in sugar solution for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Liquid will have reduced by half.
5. Pull out peels and separate them to cool on a cooling rack. Be sure to place a tray, foil or wax paper beneath the rack to catch drips.
6. Once cooled, pour orange-infused syrup into a jar and save in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. Use it for cocktails, in your tea or anything you might want to sweeten with an orange essence.
Bake at 350F for 10 – 12 minutes. Yields: 45 cookies
In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 30 seconds, set aside. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and orange zest until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add in one egg and mix until combined, then add in second egg, vanilla extract and orange extract and mix until combined. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in flour mixture and mix just until combined. Stir in chocolate chunks. Shape dough into large balls, about 3 Tbsp each (58 grams each). Transfer balls to plates, cover with plastic wrap and chill 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees during last 10 minutes of chilling.
Transfer chilled cookie dough balls to Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheets and sprinkle tops lightly with sea salt (keep any that aren't currently baking in refrigerator). Bake in preheated oven about 11 - 12 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet several minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
1. Mix butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl before adding next ingredients.
2. In a small bowl, combine eggs, vanilla extract, orange extract and zest.
3. Add in flavored egg mixture to butter and sugar in 2 parts. Mixing well to fully incorporate the egg and scraping down the sides of the bowl with each addition.
4. Using a whisk, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
5. With the mixer on low (stirring speed), slowly add flour mixture to butter, sugar and egg mixture and stir until mostly combined but a dusting of flour is still visible in the dough.
6. Add chocolate chips, both kinds, and minced candied orange peel to cookie dough and continue to stir for 30 more seconds (or until chocolate chips and orange peel are fully incorporated).
7. Using a 1.5 tbsp scoop, place balls of dough onto parchment-lined cookie sheet spaced at least 2 inches apart.
8. Sparingly sprinkle fleur de sel on to the scoops of dough and bake for 10 – 12 minutes, turning the pan once half-way through.
9. Cookies should be a pale brown but not appear wet or shiny when baked. Allow cookies to cool 5 – 10 minutes on the pan before transferring to cool further on a wire rack. The center of the cookie should deflate slightly when cooling.